Del Valle Health & Wellness Center
The Central Health Del Valle Health & Wellness Center will replace the existing CommUnityCare Del Valle Health Center and bring wellness programs to Del Valle and its surrounding communities. The design will foster mental and physical wellbeing while building community among Southeast Travis County residents.
While Central Health, CommUnityCare and community members make progress on this project, residents can get care at the CommUnityCare Del Valle Health Center and the CommUnityCare Mobile Health Clinic in Creedmoor.
About the project:
The Central Health Del Valle Health & Wellness Center will bring expanded clinical services operated by CommUnityCare Health Centers to Del Valle and its surrounding communities. The center will foster mental and physical wellbeing among Southeast Travis County residents.
While Central Health, CommUnityCare, and community members make progress on this project, residents can get care at the CommUnityCare Del Valle Health Center and the CommUnityCare Mobile Health Clinic in Creedmoor.
Sign up for email updates/Submit a comment
Staff is working with advisory committees and potential partners to bring a preliminary project plan for the Del Valle Health & Wellness Center to the Central Health Board of Managers in January 2021.
The preliminary project plan will include:
- Initial programs and services
- Proposed construction budget
- Estimated timelines and milestones
The Central Health Board of Managers directed staff to analyze existing information to understand the unique needs of Central Health’s population, including MAP/MAP BASIC members living in Southeast Travis County (Creedmoor, Del Valle, Elroy, etc.). View preliminary findings in the Data section below. Based on this analysis, Central Health is recommending the following services:
- Comprehensive primary care
- Integrated behavioral health care
- Drive through pharmacy
- Telehealth for available specialty care
Central Health and CommUnityCare are evaluating other services, including dental, obstetrics, and pediatrics while incorporating community and health care provider feedback into the planning process.
In 2015, Central health formed the Eastern Travis County Health and Wellness Collaboration to address challenges in the area. In November 2017, Central Health and Central Health-affiliated CommUnityCare Health Centers opened the Del Valle Health Center in the Travis County Employee Wellness Clinic. In July 2018, Central Health and CommUnityCare launched a shuttle service pilot to help Elroy residents get to their medical appointments. In September 2018, Central Health and CommUnityCare adopted the Fiscal Year 2019 budget, which included an estimated $3.49 million for priority projects in Eastern Travis County, including Del Valle. In June 2019, Central Health, CommUnityCare, and community members celebrated the opening of the mobile health clinic at the Creedmoor Community Center (12511 FM 1625, Creedmoor, TX 78610), offering primary care, preventive care, vaccines, lab services, chronic disease management, and limited pharmacy services. In September 2020, Central Health bought 2.5 acres at 7050 Elroy Road in Southeast Travis County to build a new health and wellness center.
Funding and Resources
Dedicated resources for this project have been allocated starting in Fiscal Year 2018.
To ensure community members have a seat at the table during the planning, research, implementation and evaluation of Central Health’s quality enhancement or service expansion projects in their neighborhoods, Central Health formed community advisory committees in early 2018. Members include residents, advocates and leaders, neighborhood association members, representatives of school districts, faith-based organization leaders, and elected officials. Advisory committees help us get to know, and connect with, each unique community – to ensure our collective work will positively impact the health of people with low income experiencing disparities in their neighborhoods.
Central Health is looking for more residents to join the Southeast Travis County Health and Wellness Advisory Committee. Meetings are currently taking place on an as-needed basis online/by phone. For more information, email: [email protected].
About the population:
Data & Demographics
- As reported in the Central Health 2020 Demographic Report, the total population of Del Valle is 21,672.
- Of all households in Del Valle, 27.8% (1,678 households) are below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL)
- Central Health‘s population, including MAP/MAP BASIC members, account for 19.8% (4,289 individuals) of the total population in Del Valle.
- 61.4% of Central Health‘s population residing in the Del Valle area have utilized health services in the last year.
- The percent of Latino residents in Del Valle is 73.5%, or 15,938 individuals, which is more than double the Travis County rate of Latino residents.
- Of the total population of Latino residents in Del Valle, 84.4%, or 3,622 individuals, are members of Central Health‘s population.
- The percent of Black residents in Del Valle is 11%, or 2,383 individuals, which is 2.7% higher than the Travis County rate of Black residents.
- Of the total population of Black residents in Del Valle, 2.5%, or 106 individuals, are members of Central Health enrollees.
Diabetes and hypertension prevalence rates among Central Health enrollees in the Del Valle area are higher than the prevalence rate for these conditions as compared to all Travis County Central Health enrollees.
The average number of households without a vehicle is nearly a third of the county rate.
Sign Up for Updates